Tuesday October 19, 2021
BlaBlaCar connects members looking to carpool or to travel by bus, while making travel more affordable, efficient and friendly across 22 countries. A new member joins the platform every two seconds. In France alone, the service counts 20 millions members and is used by 60% of France’s 18-35 years old population.
What seemed like a utopia 15 years ago has become a mainstream travel solution across Eurasia, or countries like Brazil, Mexico, Turkey or India. This global footprint generates significant positive impacts, including:
- Environmental: 1,6 million tons of CO2 saved per year, equal CO2 emitted by road transport in Paris for an entire year
- Social: more than 120 million human connections per year, matching people who would have never met otherwise.
- Savings: 600 million euros saved by members per year
- Access to mobility: over 1 million meeting points worldwide. Destinations which were not or poorly connected to public transportation are now part of a global mobility network. For example, Saint-Aignan, a small town in Loir-et-Cher is connected to 280 destinations in Europe per year.
Animation reveals all the BlaBlaCar trips over a day
To get a sense of what a community of 100 million members looks like, BlaBlaCar unveils an animation of all the carpooling trips in the world over one day. From the French highways to the remote villages in eastern Russia, the video shows the density and size of the network.
Next (bus) stop: Eastern Europe and LATAM
Today, 80% of BlaBlaCar’s activity is outside of France, in markets where mobility is evolving at a blistering pace.
In particular, BlaBlaCar is seizing Eastern Europe and Latin America’s bus market offline to online transition, by leveraging on its large passenger demand there and its new bus connecting technology.
Since the acquisition of Busfor and Octobus, BlaBlaCar made a technological leap forward to digitalise bus stations while powering bus carriers with inventory management systems and online distribution. Meanwhile, passengers are offered more choice and convenience by booking on the BlaBlaCar app.
Today 20% of seats booked on BlaBlaCar are booked on a bus. BlaBlaCar is ideally positioned to play a key role in digitalising the multi-billion bus markets outside of Europe and continuing fostering shared mobility globally.
BlaBlaCar key figures
- +100 million members in 22 countries
- 30 years old on average
- 280km is the average distance of a trip
- 1.6 million tons of CO2 saved per year
- Over 1 million meeting points served per month globally
- 600 million euros saved by members in travel costs every year
- 700 employees, in 7 countries.