We bring freedom, fairness and fraternity to the world of travel
BlaBlaCar is the world’s leading community-based travel network enabling over 90 million members to share a ride across 22 markets. BlaBlaCar leverages technology to fill empty seats on the road, connecting members looking to carpool or to travel by bus, and making travel more affordable, sociable and convenient. BlaBlaCar’s environmentally and human-friendly mobility network saves 1.6M tons of CO2 and enables 120M human connections every year.
HOW IT ALL STARTED
When Fred was trying to get home to his family in the French countryside for Christmas 2003, he struggled as he had no car and all the trains were full. After begging his sister to pick him up, it was on the road when Fred noticed the sheer number of people driving alone. It hit him that all those empty seats in existing cars could be the beginning of a new travel network. Over the next decade, together with co-founders Francis and Nicolas, the trio took this simple idea and built it into the world’s leading carpooling platform, connecting millions of people going the same way. Learn about our first decade of building BlaBlaCar in our Inside Story!
OUR KEY NUMBERS
• 90 million members
• 22 countries
• 25 million travelers per quarter
• More than €1.4 billion saved by members since BlaBlaCar’s creation
• 263 kilometers is the average distance of a BlaBlaCar trip
• 30 billions kilometers shared by the community since BlaBlaCar’s creation
CURIOUS ABOUT OUR IMPACTS?
BlaBlaCar doubles the occupancy rate of cars whilst operating a carbon-saving network. In total, 1.6 million tonnes of CO2 were saved by BlaBlaCar carpoolers in 2018, thanks to the relative efficiency of filled cars versus alternative modes of transport, members’ improved driving behaviors whilst carpooling, and the informal carpooling inspired by BlaBlaCar outside the platform. Find our more in our dedicated report, Zero Empty Seats.
Carpooling also creates a unique space, enabling exchanges between people who might have never met otherwise but who come together to share a ride.
– Bringing People Closer is the largest study conducted on the social impacts of carpooling and reveals the social ties created by carpooling.
– In Entering the Trust Age, a study conducted jointly with NYU Stern, you can learn about the digital trust tools that have enabled BlaBlaCar to create trust at scale and enable millions of people to share long-distance journeys.