We bring freedom, fairness and fraternity to the world of travel
BlaBlaCar is the world’s leading community-based travel app enabling 26 million active members a year to share a ride in 21 countries. Its technology matches drivers with empty seats with passengers heading the same way, so they can share the cost of the trip. With the mission to be the go-to marketplace for shared travel, BlaBlaCar combines carpooling with bus journeys from over 4000 operators to offer a wide choice of affordable and sustainable travel solutions, all in one app.
In 2022, BlaBlaCar’s trusted community connected 2 million meeting points worldwide and enabled 90 million human encounters. Carpool drivers saved 450 million euros, and all BlaBlaCar’s mobility services contributed to avoiding 1.5 million tonnes of CO2 emissions.
HOW IT ALL STARTED
When Fred was trying to get home to his family in the French countryside for Christmas 2003, he struggled as he had no car and all the trains were full. After begging his sister to pick him up, it was on the road when Fred noticed the sheer number of people driving alone. It hit him that all those empty seats in existing cars could be the beginning of a new travel network. Over the next decade, together with co-founders Francis and Nicolas, the trio took this simple idea and built it into the world’s leading carpooling platform, connecting millions of people going the same way. Learn about our first decade of building BlaBlaCar in our Inside Story!
KEY 2022 NUMBERS
• 26 million unique active members
• 1.5 million tonnes of CO2 avoided
• 90 million human connections
• 2 million meeting points worldwide
• €450 million saved by carpool drivers
CURIOUS ABOUT OUR IMPACTS?
BlaBlaCar is a digital platform that connects drivers and passengers traveling in the same direction. By optimizing the usage of vehicles on the road, the platform contributed to saving 1.5 million tons of CO2 and enabled 90 million trusted human connections in 2022.
The platform connects both people and places: by combining carpooling and long-distance buses, BlaBlaCar has developed a highly complementary network that connects big cities and rural areas alike, reaching over 2 million meeting points worldwide in 2022.
Find out more about our impact in the following reports:
– BlaBlaCar’s 2022 Extra-Financial Performance Report, disclosing our main social and environmental contributions.
– Zero Empty Seats, a 2019 study on the environmental impact of carpooling.
– Bringing People Closer, a 2018 study on the social ties enabled by carpooling.
– Entering the Trust Age, a 2016 study conducted jointly with NYU Stern on the digital trust tools that have enabled BlaBlaCar to create trust at scale and enable millions of people to share long-distance journeys.